CPA Night 2019
Getting hired at top accounting firms can be difficult given the competitive nature of the field. It is important for applicants to demonstrate unique skills and experience.
he annual CPA Night, hosted by the Odette Career Services and the Odette Accounting Society is an excellent opportunity for students to network with industry and professional service firms seeking to hire accounting students.
Accounting firms start their hiring process one year in advance making this night very valuable to Odette Accounting students looking for employment. This event allows the student to engage with many firms, all in one night, hoping to find the right fit for them.
Odette was happy to have very supportive employers Deloitte, KPMG, BDO, Roth Mosey and Partners, PricewaterhouseCoopers, Doher & Co. and Grant Thorton, Ally Financial, Baker Tilly Windsor and Baker Tilly Leaminton to this year’s event.
Before we begin, we would like to take a moment to remember one of our Odette CPA alumni. Kevin Campagna was past president of the Accounting Club, a 2007 graduate of the Odette Bachelor of Commerce program and was a successful CPA having worked for Deloitte and PwC, and most recently for General Motors in Detroit. Those who knew Kevin described him as a kind, happy, and an always positive person. Tonight we remember Kevin who passed away on Sunday after a courageous battle with cancer.
Prior to the students networking with the employers numerous Accounting Awards were given out:
- The Kate Taylor Award went to Dominique LeBlanc. The award was established by friends and family of Kate Taylor in her honour and memory. Awarded annually to a student entering 3rd or 4th year of a BComm program or the Post Graduate Certificate in Accounting program and plans to pursue the CPS designation.
A special thank you to Kate’s mom, Ms. Julie Lingley who has made it a priority to travel from New Brunswick for the last seven years to give out and meet the recipient of this award in her daughters’ name.
- The H.A. Scarff Memorial Award goes to the student with the highest standing in Accounting 70-255 and was awarded to Michelle Sun.
- The CPA Ontario Windsor Association Award is awarded to a 4th year Odette student who has the highest average in accounting courses required by CPA Ontario and who plans on becoming a CPA. The award went to Spencer Leveque.
- The David Moore Memorial Scholarship is awarded to a 4th year BComm student who is planning on pursuing a career in chartered professional accountancy, as well as having a minimum cumulative average of 75% and is active in extra-curricular and community activities. This award went to Jack Barei.
- The Deloitte Award went to Katelyn Mcmahon, a 3rd year BComm student who anticipates a career in chartered professional accountancy, who has a superior academic record and whose personality, ability and aptitude are needed to be successful.
- The KPMG James S. Clark Memorial Award was given to 3rd year student, Spencer Wilson, who has expressed an interest in becoming a CPA. This student has exceptional academic credentials, and has demonstrated through his extra-curricular activities, an acumen towards participating in athletics.